Wednesday 27 March 2013

Because it's all about you...


“Because you were all about you. You all about you. And you were all about where I should be, not about the things I do naturally”. – ‘Lift’, 2013

Is it such a bad thing to occasionally be all about you? When is it acceptable to stop thinking about others and think about what’s best for you, even if it goes against your usual approach to life? Is it ever?

As you will know from reading my previous entries, I've been feeling a bit out of sorts recently. Thankfully I’m getting back on track and I’m currently writing this on the train back to the West Country to spend a few days remembering how it feels to live with my parents. (I’m fearful for my sanity, but the roast chicken more than makes up for it). Having spent a few days out of the office doing very little has done wonders and helped me see that I've been pushing myself too far and too hard for too long, resulting in a complete burnout.

The hardest part I found about acknowledging that I was completely burnt out and in need of a break from my usual life was the disappointment I expected to face from my friends over my withdrawal from my usual social life. I appreciate how weak this may sound, but I find that the approval of my friends in terms of my activities and decisions is a major factor in the majority of my decisions. (I will note here that my friends have been perfectly nonchalant about the whole situation and have carried on as though nothing is happening!)

The realisation that I was afraid of disappointment made me question my overall priorities and where I position myself within them. The answer was pretty damn low. I’m a yes man, more than willing to push the bank balance or my free time that bit further to ensure that I try and make as many people happy as possible. Now don’t get me wrong, I love my friends and the time I spend with them and wouldn't change it for anything. However, I need to acknowledge that I am not Superman, nor superhuman, and that a lack of time for me results in a complete failure of personality, which in turn doesn't provide the same experience for my friends when they do see me.

In a nutshell, I need to be more about me.

Unfortunately, I believe that this makes me inherently selfish and goes against everything I want to be to my friends and family. I don’t want to be the person who says no to someone because I need to have some ‘me time’. I would rather be a broken man on the verge of a nervous breakdown who helps out a friend in need than a sane person with spare time on their hands who watches shit TV for something to do.

Therefore I find myself in a bit of a no-mans land. I plan to attempt to get the best of both worlds and take regular holidays or long weekends off work to allow me to recover my sanity whilst still seeing everyone and doing everything I want to do. I’ll let you know how I get on.

If you get a call saying that I've been sent to a psychiatric hospital, you know it didn't go as well as planned!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment